Wednesday, April 7, 2010

'If you can make pixel art, you can make a game'

Written by pikaby

As said by the late Gunpei Yokoi, creator of the Game Boy. Taken from an excerpt in an interview by Wired.com with Yoshio Sakamoto, creator of the Metroid series and recently, Warioware DIY.

Here's the part from the interview:

"
Wired.com: What was Yokoi like as a boss, as a game designer? How would you contrast him with Miyamoto?

Sakamoto: I think that earlier episode, where he said “If you can make pixel art, you can make a game,” was a pretty good illustration. He was the one that was always really pushing us to come up with new and creative ideas. The way that he would constrain us was to say, “All you have to do is come up with a great idea, and give it to a designer. In fact, I don’t want you guys to learn any of the technical stuff. It’s just going to hold you back.”
Whereas Mr. Miyamoto would say, you have to learn the technical side to be able to give 100 percent to the designer. But Mr. Miyamoto was never my boss, so it’s hard to compare them on that scale.
Wired.com: When Yokoi said to you, “If you can draw pixel art, you can make a game,” what did you think at that moment?
Sakamoto: I remember thinking, “Well, if my boss says so, then maybe I can. But I certainly know that I have to try.” I was also very interested, so I worked hard at it.

Share/Save/Bookmark
blog comments powered by Disqus